BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

domingo, 21 de noviembre de 2010

FROM EMMA TO NORTHANGER ABBEY



Last week I finished reading Emma. I only read the novel in my short trips to or from my job by metro so it took several weeks to read it but I really enjoyed it.

I love the complexity of the story, how the personality of Emma is built, how she is evolving through the novel and the portrayal of Jane Austen's society and age.

Through this novel, maybe Jane Austen is trying to give and advice to her contemporary readers about not being prejudiced and mistaken when judging other characters. Being wealthier doesn't mean being superior in spirit although it could be in society. Although Emma, the main character, is a lady that interferes in the affair of others, I cannot avoid liking this character because she tries to improve the life of the people she approaches towards.

After reading the novel I have had the necessity of knowing more about the world of Emma, of Hartfield, of Jane Austen ... and seeking information I came out with this blog with links that allowed me to know more about her world. I also found a map of South England with geographical locations that appear in the novel. After Emma I have started reading Northanger Abbey. I have only read a couple of chapters but I feel more the presence of the author or a subjective narrator in the novel. It is also important the presence of the figure of a HEROINE which is constant as far as I have read. Before starting reading the novel I watched the ITV drama Northanger Abbey and it was great.

I found out about the fascination of some of the characters for the gothic novel Misteries of Udolpho. Curiosity bit me and this weekend I have bought this book together with a biography of the Brontes. This is the first order I have placed through Book Depository and I cannot wait to receive my books.


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario